RadianTrust Pte Ltd – Protecting the Printed Paper from Data Loss
WHAT IS THIS TECHNOLOGY?
Phidélity was created in response to threats revolving around fraudulent or counterfeit printed documents. Though paper documents serve as a bridge until the state where full-scale adoption of electronic forms is reached, the use of paper poses many limitations. With the easy availability of high-quality imaging devices to consumers, trade documents, medical certificates, permits, diplomas, insurance agreements and other business documents can be easily modified and imitated to be indistinguishable from original ones.
Phidélity was developed to eliminate the need to invest in costly equipment and consumables while ensuring that printed documents are protected from forgery, fraud, tampering of document content, and identification of ownership, whilst providing accountability in case of document leakage.
Phidélity enhances the security of printed documents by providing layers of protection that meet the various threats of counterfeiting, forgery and unauthorized information leakage. By not relying only on one security feature or capability, this layered-security concept provides a more comprehensive solution to the problem of printed document security. Phidélity consists of 5 security features that work together and independently to enhance paper document security.
1. Phidélity's Optical Watermark makes innovative use of normal printers to print visual covert and overt watermarks. When a document with the optical watermark is copied (either photocopied, scanned or photographed and subsequently printed), the overt watermark disappears and the covert watermark is made visible, showing that the document is a copy (see fig1.jpg). Phidélity generates secure optical watermarks against various types of possible attacks while only using common desktop printers, eliminating the need of special inks or papers. The optical watermark provides the convenient way of verifying important documents via quick visual verification. In comparison to other similar technologies that require other equipment to verify security markings, the optical watermark provides fast and easy first-level verification that does not overly tax operational processes, such as counter staff, because there is no need to use special equipment like filters, UV lights and the like – a simple glance is all you need to know if the document is a copy or an original.
2. Phidélity's SecureCODE is the result of creative use of open standards in both 2-Dimensinal (2D) barcode and Public Key Infrastructure (PKI). A 2D barcode is a method of representing data graphically and PKI is the technology that implements trust through the use of digital signatures, certificates and also confidentiality through the use of encryption as when needed. Bringing these two technologies together forms a synergy to create SecureCODE which can be verified to detect if the document contents have been tampered with (see fig2.jpg). This feature helps Phidélity carve a niche for itself in bridging the digital and physical security domains through the innovative use of PKI to respond to threats against the integrity of printed documents, and by imbuing security with the document in a portable manner in addition to providing non-repudiation. A variety of verification engines also make it convenient for end-users to verify the content’s integrity. Phidélity allows for SecureCODE to be verified through online or offline software clients, web services, fax servers, email, MMS through mobile camera phones, and PDAs with integrated 2D barcode scanners (see fig3.jpg).
3. Phidélity’s Microprint is the creative use of printer capabilities to print very small fonts. To the naked eye, this line of microprint appears as an underline and is usually overlooked, however contains textual information that can be read through the use of a magnifying glass. By printing important document information (e.g. registration number) as Microprint, any casual copying of the original document will result in highly distorted text in the duplicates (see fig4.jpg). Hence, this acts as an easy way to verify the authenticity of the document without using complex electronic equipment, but also provides a second level of inspection should further investigation be required. Microprint also provides a minimum level of accountability for documents printed as the textual information can be of dynamic nature, such as a running document serial number.
4. Phidélity’s PrintControl uses a novel way to control printing. This limits the number of times a document can be printed, thus reducing the risk of information leakage by controlling the number of documents printed. Moreover, PrintControl is highly user-centric by providing automatic printer detection-cum-selection for printing and also dynamic configuration of optical watermark according to specified printer in order to achieve the best watermark effect for security. In addition, PrintControl prevents users from printing secured documents to virtual printers such as PDF creator as well as disabling the memory caches of high-end printers. Unlike other technologies that control the number of print-outs, PrintControl requires zero client-side installation and is not limited to any one particular printer vendor, so long as the printers are postscript or PCL-compliant.
5. Phidélity’s ID-Trace covertly embeds tracking information, such as user or document identification information, into printed documents. This provides the capability to track and trace a document after it has been printed out without being overtly visible, thus making it difficult for even the cautious attacker from removing this information. ID-tracing is positioned as a forensic tool to be used to find the source of the leakage, in the scenario of company-sensitive documents being compromised (see fig5.jpg). Unlike other security features, not only is ID-Trace difficult to identify and remove, it is also robust enough to withstand signal degradation – meaning that copies of the original leaked document will retain the user information embedded, thus ensuring that ID-Trace does its job in establishing accountability.
Conclusion: Phidélity offers desirable security features without the need to buy expensive inks and special equipments, securing the media where business is predominantly conducted in a cost-effective way. Phidélity is a premium document security product that offers high system performance, idiot-proof usability and tangible business value.
RadianTrust Pte Ltd.
31 Science Park Road
The Crimson, Level 1